Why is your gym called the Cliffs of Id?
Our name is a nod to the book Los Angeles: The Architecture of Four Ecologies by Reyner Banham. Here, Banham breaks LA down into four categories based on how Angelenos relate to the local environment: Surfurbia, The Foothills, The Plains of Id, and Autopia. The Plains of Id refer to the flatland region between the beaches and Santa Monica, where Culver City is located. Thus our name, the Cliffs of Id.
(And “Cliffs” because, well, rock climbing!)
Can I purchase a gift card online?
Of course, you can you lucky ducky! Gift cards are available in any amount, can be used at all of our locations, and never expire.
Do you allow non-service dogs into your gym?
No dogs are allowed inside. You can leash your dog up outside — as long as they’re not blocking the wheelchair ramp or entrance. Please bring water and shade as we don’t provide anything.
Do you rent crash pads?
Cliffs of Id does rent crash pads, you can reserve one online here.
Do I have to sign-up for studio classes online?
Reservations are required. Bookings open 24 hours before the class begins. Please note that guest passes cannot be used for advanced online sign ups. Online reservations are available to members and paying non-members only. Once you have completed your booking, please make sure that you receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email confirming your spot in the class, call the gym at 424-543-3820 to make sure your reservation has been received.
Is the fitness studio available at any time?
Our fitness studio is available to members and guests when classes are not in session. When classes are in session, and you must enter the studio, please be respectful and quick so as to not disturb the class. Our participants thank you!
I am not a member. Do I need to make an appointment to climb or are you open to the public?
Yes, we are open to the public. You can drop by anytime we are open.
Do you give tours or can I come look around on my own?
Yes. Some gyms offer staff-guided tours and others offer self-guided tours. An appointment is not necessary, you may come in anytime during business hours. Before you arrive please fill out a waiver to expedite your check-in process. See you soon!
Do you have auto belays?
We do not have auto belays. However, if you don’t have a partner we’re always happy to try and find you one. Just ask the desk staff to make an announcement for you over the PA, and you’ll be climbing with a new friend in no time.
Do you have free trial passes?
We do not have free trial passes, but we do offer Day Passes. We also offer a special Ten Pass, which will waive your initiation fee if you decide to become a member.
I am a paying member, how do I use my Member Passes for friends and family?
Members have three types of passes at their disposal every month. As a reminder, they do not roll over so use them up!
- The Intro Pass: This free pass can be used for one first-time visitor, once a month, on any day.
- The 1st Friday Pass: This free pass can be used for one visitor, new or returning.
- The Member Pass: This special discounted day pass is for you to use on your friends and family. It’s $10 off the regular-priced day pass. It can be used anytime and its unlimited.
How do I become a member?
You can purchase a membership online by going to the menu item +Membership and then clicking on Join the Gym.
Do you have an age minimum?
We do not have an age minimum, but safety is our priority. If you are coming in with a child under the age of 14, they must be supervised at all times.
Is there a weight limit to climb?
No, climbing is for all shapes and sizes!
My kids want to climb. What are my options?
Here are a few of the best ways to bring kids to the gym:
- Check out our Climbing with Kids page located under the +YOUTH menu.
- Contact the gym to arrange a private lesson for your child. Private lessons are one hour long, instructional, and fun!
- We also offer a variety of youth programs. Find out what’s available at your local Touchstone gym by visiting the +YOUTH tab on any gym’s homepage.
- Parents can get involved and become belay certified. Take our Intro to Climbing Class to learn how to secure a harness, tie a figure 8 follow through knot, and complete your safety checks. You’ll be able to belay your own kids and have the knowledge to come back in the future!
- And lastly, take a look at our Kid’s Safety brochure!
How do I cancel or freeze my membership?
Easy peasy — you can update your membership online by going to My Account. Remember, all changes MUST be made before the first of the month. If you send in your request on or after the first, it will be processed for the next month.
Why are you guys so awesome?
Cause we know how to dance like this.