Why is the gym called Pipeworks?
The building was actually constructed in 1923 for Sacramento Pipe & Steel Works, which was owned by Edward and William Schaw. The majority of the building’s space was utilized for manufacturing—you guessed it—steel pipes! The original dimensions were somewhat smaller than they are now; several expansions and an earthquake-safety retrofit were needed to aid its transformation into the gym you recognize today. The well-preserved elements of the building’s industrial architecture, such as its tall, characteristic windows, and open, well-lit floor space make it a fine tribute to its historic roots!
Another interesting fact about our building’s history: railroad tracks used to stretch right up to our back door, enabling trains to pick up large orders and meet the wartime demand for steel in the 1940s.
Can I purchase a gift card online?
Of course you can you lucky ducky! Gift cards are available in any amount, can be used at all of our locations, and never expire.
Do you allow dogs into your gym?
No. We only allow Service Dogs at the gym and they must stay out of the climbing area (carpeted area) unless they are required there to support their human.
I am not a member. Do I need to make an appointment to climb or are you open to the public?
Yes, we are open to the public. You can drop by anytime we are open.
Do you give tours or can I come look around on my own?
Yes. Some gyms offer staff-guided tours and others offer self-guided tours. An appointment is not necessary, you may come in anytime during business hours. Before you arrive please fill out a waiver to expedite your check-in process. See you soon!
Do you have auto belays?
We do not have auto belays. However, if you don’t have a partner we’re always happy to try and find you one. Just ask the desk staff to make an announcement for you over the PA, and you’ll be climbing with a new friend in no time.
Do you have free trial passes?
We do not have free trial passes, but we do offer Day Passes. We also offer a special Ten Pass, which will waive your initiation fee if you decide to become a member.
I am a paying member, how do I use my Member Passes for friends and family?
Members have three types of passes at their disposal every month. As a reminder, they do not roll over so use them up!
- The Intro Pass: This free pass can be used for one first-time visitor, once a month, on any day.
- The 1st Friday Pass: This free pass can be used for one visitor, new or returning.
- The Member Pass: This special discounted day pass is for you to use on your friends and family. It’s $10 off the regular-priced day pass. It can be used anytime and its unlimited.
How do I become a member?
You can purchase a membership online by going to the menu item +Membership and then clicking on Join the Gym.
Do you have an age minimum?
We do not have an age minimum, but safety is our priority. If you are coming in with a child under the age of 14, they must be supervised at all times.
Is there a weight limit to climb?
No, climbing is for all shapes and sizes!
My kids want to climb. What are my options?
Here are a few of the best ways to bring kids to the gym:
- Check out our Climbing with Kids page located under the +YOUTH menu.
- Contact the gym to arrange a private lesson for your child. Private lessons are one hour long, instructional, and fun!
- We also offer a variety of youth programs. Find out what’s available at your local Touchstone gym by visiting the +YOUTH tab on any gym’s homepage.
- Parents can get involved and become belay certified. Take our Intro to Climbing Class to learn how to secure a harness, tie a figure 8 follow through knot, and complete your safety checks. You’ll be able to belay your own kids and have the knowledge to come back in the future!
- And lastly, take a look at our Kid’s Safety brochure!
How do I cancel or freeze my membership?
Easy peasy — you can update your membership online by going to My Account. Remember, all changes MUST be made before the first of the month. If you send in your request on or after the first, it will be processed for the next month.
Why are you guys so awesome?
Cause we know how to dance like this.